1. Scambler S, Newton P, Sinclair AJ, Asimakopoulou K. (2012). Barriers and opportunities of empowerment as applied in diabetes settings: A focus on health care professionals'' experiences. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice 97(1 ):e16-e20.
2. Wolfs CAG, De Vugt ME, Verkaaik M, Verkade P-J, et al. (2010). Empowered or overpowered? Service use, needs, wants and demands in elderly patients with cognitive impairments. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 25(10 ):1006-1012.
3. Livingston JD, Boyd JE. (2010). Correlates and consequences of internalized stigma for people living with mental illness: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Social Science and Medicine 71(12 ):2150-2161.
4. Spencer G, Maxwell C, Aggleton P. (2008). What does 'empowerment' mean in school-based sex and relationships education? Sex Education 8:345-56 (74 ref).
5. Suominen T, Rankinen S, Kuokkanen L, Kukkurainen ML, et al. (2007). The constancy of work-related empowerment. Journal of Nursing Management 15(6):595-602.
6. Forlani G, Zannoni C, Tarrini G, Melchionda N, et al. (2006). An empowerment-based educational program improves psychological well-being and health-related quality of life in Type 1 diabetes. Journal of Endocrinological Investigation 29(5):405-12.
7. Che HL, Yeh ML, Wu SM. (2006). The self-empowerment process of primary caregivers: A study of caring for elderly with dementia. Journal of Nursing Research 14(3):209-18.
8. Svensson T, Mussener U, Alexanderson K. (2006). Pride, empowerment, and return to work: on the significance of promoting positive social emotions among sickness absentees. Work 27(1):57-65.
9. Varekamp I, Verbeek JHAM, van Dijk FJH. (2006). How can we help employees with chronic diseases to stay at work? A review of interventions aimed at job retention and based on an empowerment perspective. International Archives of Occupational and Environmental Health 80(2):87-97.
10. Klam J, McLay M, Brabke D. (2006). Personal empowerment program: addressing health concerns in people with schizophrenia. Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services 44(8):20-8, 48-9.